Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Quiet Little Adventures

As you get older your world gets smaller.  I have found a way to open mine up a bit again.

When I was a child, I wanted to be an amateur radio operator so bad I could taste it.  I fiddled with old radios and re-purposed them.  I once had an old RCA Brown Bakelite that could pull in stations from around the world after I jury rigged an antenna and used the tuning capacitor from another old radio to make it resonate.  I loved listening to the BBC, Radio Netherlands and Radio South Africa and dreaming about going there someday.  I would have loved to transmit and read everything I could about it.  But there was no money for fancy equipment when I was younger and later in life there was no time.

I got a limited amateur license in 2012 and didn't do much with it. In the past couple of years I began doing more.  Recently, I decided that radio was a bucket list item and if I was ever going to do it now was the time.  So, last month, I bought a modest long range radio and took the upgraded license exam to operate it last weekend. For you few who may be interested the radio is an ICOM-718.  Just a basic HF rig. 100 watts SSB, AM, RTTY and CW.  Not a lot of bells and whistles.  But, it appears to be a very solid little radio and it is easy to operate.

I am running it through a vintage MFJ-941D antenna tuner.  I bought it used and found out after the fact that some previous owner had fried some of the workings.  A bit of poking around and TLC brought it back to life and it will now get me 1.5 to 1 or better SWR on 40 through 10 meters.

The antenna itself is a 66 foot end fed long wire strung through a fork in branches of a large tree in our backyard.  End fed long wires have been popular in Europe for a long time but I got a bit of skepticism here when I talked about buying one.  So far, the arrangement has worked as well as could be expected.  This morning, I talked to the East Coast from Connecticut to Miami and around lunch time had a nice chat with a fellow located a few miles from the Canadian border in northwest Montana.  This afternoon, I even talked with the actor Alan Wolfe who was transmitting from his home in Miami.

There are a lot of old men in amateur radio.  And, they have old man conversations.  The weather, doctor's appointments, holiday plans, etc.  But, there is more than that.  Early this morning, I was welcomed like a long lost brother to the Navy Amateur Radio Club on 40 meters.  After that, I listened in for a while on a group of RV owners who keep track of each other by ham radio.  They were very professional, handling relays like pros.  This afternoon, I listened to a bunch of ex-Northrup/Grumman employees.  Their net controller was operating the station located in the National Electronics Museum in Baltimore.  He could have been next door.

I would have given anything to do this when I was a kid.  And, I'm glad to say that this is one of those childhood dreams that has come true and I am enjoying it thoroughly.

73's.  (That's ham talk for best wishes.)

      

No comments:

Post a Comment