Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas At Bill and Sheila's

This has been a strange but good little Christmas.  There were times when I seriously wondered if Sheila and I wouldn't be celebrating it in bed .... due to our injuries ..... not ..... well ..... you know.

It all began when I decided to make Sheila's long time desire for a kitchen remodel happen.  I convinced our long time friend and part time contractor, Bret Keathley, to take the job on the week before Christmas.  He agreed to come in in the evenings and after hours to do the hard stuff like building the new cabinets, installing the new counter top and sink, installing the new garbage disposal, etc. while Sheila I worked around him in shifts doing to the little stuff like painting, laying the new vinyl plank floor, etc.  

Bret is really very talented in this area and has helped us make the best use of just about
every square inch of our tiny, 1940's style kitchen.  He is still finishing up on a hutch with triangular shelves built around our over-sized modern fridge.  We have even re-purposed the old telephone nook into a tiny, European style coffee station.


My old friend and coffee drinking partner Tom Brock, who is a professional quality painter, came over a couple of mornings and helped me paint the walls.  With his help it only took a couple of hours.  Sheila was working half days last week, so when she came home we painted trim and she helped me lay flooring as Bret cleared a space and moved on. We got it down to a system.  I would get on the floor and stay there so I didn't have to get up and down.  She would remain upright and fetch tools, materials,etc.  Our faithful son in law Robert showed up yesterday afternoon and got more work done in a couple of hours than Sheila and I would have accomplished in a day.  


During the process, I twisted a shoulder getting up and down off the floor.  Sheila's knees .... well, need I say more.  By last night, we were both about all in.  But, by noon yesterday, there was enough finished so that we could have Christmas dinner in Sheila's new kitchen.

We kept the menu simple, savory roast pork loin with mango chutney, garlic mashed potatoes, roast green beans and butternut squash dressed in olive oil and coarse salt, hot rolls and southern vin ordinaire aka sweet tea.  Michelle and Gwenda brought desserts.  Michelle's apple pie was about the best I have ever tasted.

After dinner, we opened presents.  As usual, I was a little embarrassed by the amount of stuff that changed hands, remembering the years of my childhood when I would receive one or two gifts, maybe a toy truck or a cap pistol and there would be nothing for Mom and Dad but a good meal.  It should be noted that my grandson, Little Ben, gave me a big old red remote controlled toy sports car that I suspect we will get much pleasure out of when he is at our house.

Sheila and I will be spending the day in bed today for the most part or at least in our
chairs.  The kitchen is not finished and Bret will be coming back in to finish up the built in storage on the other wall, install new light fixtures and clean up the various details.  But, aside from little painting, our big work on the project is over except for cleaning up after the fact. 

There will be another "Christmas" Sunday when Robert's daughter from a former marriage, Ella, flies in from Texas for visitation.  So, there will be another meal, more presents to be opened etc.  But, all we have to do is show up for that one thank heavens.

Yes, we are a little battered and bruised but I have to say it has been an adventure and Sheila will soon have her remodeled kitchen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment