Tuesday, January 21, 2014

EZ Pawn .... My A**

This afternoon, I did a quick check at a few pawnshops looking for my stolen guns from the farm.  You never know where they may show up and I will not give up until I have the weapons back or the name(s) of the person who took them .... preferably both.

The EZ Pawn in the 3700 block of Admiral Place had a weapon that looked very much like one of my stolen weapons. When I asked the teen-aged black girl working the counter to unlock it for me she asked, "Are you going to buy it?"  I told her that I sure wasn't going to buy it until I inspected it and made sure that it worked.  I didn't tell her that I am a PI working on a case close to my own heart and need to examine the weapon closely to see if it was stolen property.  She unchained the weapon.

I was disappointed that it was not one of my stolen weapons but it looked clean and I figured I might go ahead and buy it and put it away for my grandson in case I never recover the original that was a gift to me from my father.  Problem was, they had the action locked up with a zip tie and the little girl said that she couldn't take it off so that I could look down the bore, examine the extractor, etc.  So, I asked her to call her manager.

The first person to show up was a pencil necked geek of an assistant manager who told me that their FFL license would not let them show a weapon with an unlocked action.  I told him that was bullsh*t because I have read a big chunk of that law and it doesn't say anything like that.  By this time, the MANAGER" had shown up.  She was about nineteen and looked like she couldn't tell the butt from the bore of a rifle.  She insisted that they could not allow a weapon to be unlocked before selling it.  Furious, I told her that she apparently didn't want to sell guns from her store.  

By this time my BP was up and my patience was gone.  I asked to talk to HER boss.  She gave me an 800 number.  I am now waiting for a call from the "REGIONAL MANAGER."  I suspect it will not come.   I have never been treated so stupidly when trying to purchase a weapon.  EZ Pawn must have real personnel problems to collect the crew that I talked to.

I have one word of advice.  Don't try to do business with EZ Pawn.  They're apparently so ghetto minded that they think everyone will put up with their BS.  There are a dozen great pawnshops in town that will sell you a gun or a musical instrument or tools without handing you a line of BS.  Do business with them.  Second Hand Rose on 3rd Street and Green Country Firearms on 31st are two of the best.  The only reason I will ever step foot in an EZ Pawn again will be to do exactly what I was doing today, look for stolen property.

----------------------------------

This is an update to the post shown above.  The Regional Manager for EZ Pawns here in Tulsa called me shortly after 1:00 PM this afternoon.  It is indeed the corporate the policy of EZ Pawn not to allow the customer to examine firearms before purchase.  This is not the law as their local assistant manager tried to tell me.  It is simply an EZ Pawn internal policy.

This is another example of what is wrong with many American businesses concerning firearms today.  The corporate idiots at EZ Pawn would not expect a customer to buy a television without turning it on first or a power tool without watching it operate.  But, they are perfectly comfortable in insulting gun purchasers by asking if your are going to purchase the weapon before they even pull it out.  The Regional Manager "apologized" for this of course but the corporate policy of "special treatment" of gun purchasers makes such inappropriate behavior not only understandable but probably inevitable.

If I walk into Second Hand Rose, Green Country Arms and Pawn or Sooner Firearms, they will let me examine a firearm any way I want to within reason.  They may ask that I not dry fire it or may not depending on the weapon.  But, they may also provide a snap cap to dry fire it safely.  I will be able to handle the weapon, work the action and even look down the bore if I want to.  If I ask for a bore light they will provide one.  

EZ Pawn should get out of the gun business.  If they can't trust their employees enough to tell which customers are a threat and which aren't, they certainly don't need firearms on the premises.  

No comments:

Post a Comment