Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Old Rednecks

Old Rednecks don't need an excuse to have a party.  The fact that it is a weeknight is no impediment either.  So, Sheila and I hosted a Redneck Wine Tasting last night.

I prepared some non-PC, definitely Michelle O disapproved snacks: baloney sandwiches, bacon wrapped spam bites, potted meat and crackers, cocktail weenies in barbecue sauce and jelly, and of course cheese cubes on toothpicks.  Fat, unnamed animal parts and salt were the key ingredients.


My home made wine was, well .... uh .... interesting.  I re-bottled a bottle of good Argentine red in one of my bottles so that there would be something to compare my home made to.  But, I didn't tell anybody at first.  As I suspected, the folks who are actually wine drinkers preferred the dry commercial red.  But, the wine lowbrows among us (Mike and I mostly) preferred my sweet, fruity, home made stuff.


The party was greatly hampered by the absence of our friend Jodi Sala who fell and broke her ass.  (Her words, not mine.)  She is in quite a bit of pain and couldn't make it.  Her gentle, quiet smile and Pentecostal humor were greatly missed.  However, that did not keep her husband Mike from coming by for a while and sampling the products of my wine experiment.  I promised to give him a couple of packages of my champagne yeast so that he could try it himself.

I don't drink much to start with (none of the Pack does) but I wasn't drinking at all last night. About one time out of thirty my BP meds knock me on my tail.  I'm dizzy, tired, no energy, etc.  It happened last night of all times.  So, I spent the whole time sitting on my butt watching Sheila keep things going.

As usual the food and drink were not the stars of the evening.  It was the people and the conversation.  It is truly a blessing to have interesting, smart, funny, faithful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment