Saturday, March 30, 2013

First Grill Dinner of the Season

It was a beautiful afternoon.  I decided to fire the grill up for the first time this season.  Nothing complicated, just a Siggy's Jalapeno Chicken sausage cooked on the grill and garnished with grilled onions and peppers.  Side of chips and sweet tea and you have a pretty nice little Saturday night dinner. Sheila and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was able to tune in some good gospel music from a shortwave station in Tennessee.  So, we ate our dinner, listened to some good music and generally enjoyed our deck for the first time this year.

One of the tricks to being truly happy in life is developing the ability to take pleasure in small things and quiet moments.  This was not a gourmet meal and our deck, while nice, is certainly no lavish affair.  But, the meal was good, the temp was nice, the wind was nice and we were together.  A lot of folks spend a lot of time and worry about the things they don't have and the good times they miss.  But while they are doing that, they miss the fact that all they needed for happiness, at least at the moment, was right there for them to take.  It has taken me a long time but I think I am finally learning the lesson of Phillipians 4:11, "... for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content."

No comments:

Post a Comment