Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bill Buys A Tablet

(NOTE, this post was originally in error.  I DID NOT WEAR OUT A BLACKBERRY.  As I was getting ready to put my BB Titanium away for the last time, I decided to try the last ditch efforts and did a SYSTEM RESET which wiped it completely and reset it to original factory settings.  It then rebooted and worked perfectly and has worked perfectly ever since.  I just had to reinstall my apps. )

While shopping for a new smart phone, I installed my Sim Card in the last generation Blackberry and discovered something remarkable. It was a remarkably good business telephone and PDA. No bells and whistles but it worked perfectly. It is built like a tank and does everything you would want a business phone to do. And, since it doesn't have a camera or an extended capacity voice recorder, you don't have to surrender it to the door Gestapo in federal facilities. (Make a note of this conspiracy buffs. You surrender your right to privacy to anything you surrender to their custody and it takes about ten seconds to dump your entire life onto another computer for later analysis.)

This set me to thinking about just keeping the old reliable BB. I then stumbled across this remarkable little Android tablet at Big Lots for $65.00. The little guy is absolutely amazing for the investment. With a wifi connection you can check email and Facebook, read the news, etc. Without the wifi you can still use it as an e-reader for your ebook account, watch movies, play games, listen to music, etc. While it is only a 512mhz processor, it handles video fine. I have watched a couple of movies now and it does a great job with them. Same with YouTube when you have a connection.

I don't think this little guy has been out of my reach since I bought it. I have read Kindle books at the coffee shop, watched a movie while waiting for my pharmacist to straighten out a prescription with my insurance company, checked email too many times, did multiple FB postings, etc. It took it all in stride. It even does voice activated internet searches so you don't have to key in your search terms! The only glaring fault I can find is that it has a front facing camera only which is great for video messaging, skype, etc. but makes it nearly impossible to take a picture of anyone else.

Bottom line, it is not a powerhouse but does a great job as a digital companion.


No comments:

Post a Comment