Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bill and Sheila and Bob and Phyllis Eat Barbecue

We had a couple of dear old friends over for supper tonight, Bob and Phyllis Keathley. We have known Bob and Phyllis forever, since our kids were all small actually. Bobby and I were deacons together at one time. I taught Sunday School to their boys. I should add that Bob and Phyllis's oldest son Brett was the contracting wizard that built our deck.

Bob and Phyllis are semi-retired now. They work one hard, long day a week at their north-side store near our home. Today was that day. I decided to cook dinner for them so that they could have a hot meal on the way home.

I smoked a pork loin and several turkey bratwursts. Last night, Sheila made a big bowl of sinfully rich potato salad from my mom's recipe and I set a cake pan of beans seasoned up with sausage and jalapenos on to slow cook and smoke on the cold side of the grill in the middle of the afternoon. I also cooked a dump cake on the cold side of the gas grill. We had raspberry iced tea to drink and vanilla carb watch ice cream on the dump cake. The pork was little dry to my taste but overall it was a good meal. (Note, these are not my food pics. But, my food looked about the same and every bit as good. I was just too busy cooking and visiting to take pictures.)

It was a pleasant evening on the deck. The weather was perfect. After dinner, we sipped tea and talked. Sheila and Phyllis did their thing and Bobby and I told tall tales. Good friends, good food, good weather. A good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment